Principal Engineer – Functional Safety Specialist
Permanent, Full Time, Immediate Vacancy
Are you passionate about helping organisations to establish and improve their functional safety practice? Do you master the implementation of functional safety standards? The challenge is to actively be the lead that drives towards a ‘safety first’ culture.
This opening is for a Principal Engineer / Functional Safety Specialist within Vocis Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Dana Incorporated. This position will drive and support the execution of the Functional Safety lifecycle. It is crucial for this position to work with other Dana Functional Safety Professionals across the globe to provide consistent results on the achieved functional safety of Dana’s mechatronic products.
- Leading the strategy and deployment of the functional safety lifecycle.
- Coordinate Functional Safety processes and systems locally to be common across Dana global facilities.
- Accountable for Functional Safety in all current and future products brought to market
- Directing engineers and external stakeholders (including FS consultants) engaged in program and project work.
- Engage directly with customers during the request for quotation stage; on jointly reviewing functional safety objectives and specific requirements; and in the resolution of functional safety concerns.
- Produce, either directly or indirectly, all the necessary work products, including but not limited to:
- Safety Plan
- Safety Manual
- Safety Concepts
- ASIL rating/decomposition
- Safety Requirements
- FMEA & FTA
- Safety Verification and Validation activities
- Confirmation measures
- Safety Case
- Driving the FS approach across organizational boundaries and with senior management.
- Managing, directing and leading the problem resolution and tracking process and providing feedback on status of tracked problems.
- Travel to key stakeholder meetings (domestic or international, as required)
Education and Experience Requirements
- Four-year degree in Automotive / Electrical / Systems Engineering or a related field of study
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role (functional safety of automotive products).
- Experience in the implementation of functional safety standards like IEC 61508, EN 13849, ISO 26262, ISO 15998, ISO 25119, IEC 62061, and other related standards for systems, hardware and software development like CMMI, INCOSE, ASPICE.
- Expert knowledge of ISO26262
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working to ISO 26262, with strong knowledge of Functional Safety principles and specific on-the-job experience
- Expert knowledge and industry experience with safety concepts, hazard analysis and risk assessment, FMEA, FTA at both system and sub-system level.
- Strong knowledge on systems engineering principles and ability to use this in a multi-disciplinary approach (electronics, software, mechanical hardware, hydraulics)
- Proven record of eliciting and implementing requirements from design to production
- 8+ years of demonstrated progressive responsibility and hands-on experience with vehicle system architectures and control systems.
Required Skills, Abilities and Attributes
- Functional Safety experience in plug-in electrical vehicle applications
- Knowledge of requirements engineering
- Knowledge of SysML/ UML.
- Knowledge and execution of requirement management tools such as DOORS, Integrity, etc.
- Both strategic and hands on; able to lead in execution as well as develop strategy.
- Able to make decisions independently with appropriate level of consultation/communication.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, at all levels
- Commitment to the highest standards of ethical behavior in self and others; commitment to inclusion and diversity
- Accomplished business leader with the ability to work successfully in a matrix environment
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Effective listener and communicator
- Proficient technical skills Microsoft Office; PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive and think forward
- Able to effectively interface with other disciplines in the organization to achieve results
- Demonstrated ability to drive results
- Proven excellent customer relationship management skills
Please email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively apply using the online application form.